Friday, September 26, 2008

Thoughts From Poisoned Dairy Product

We Chinese never focus on the national exemption system(NES) like today.

In fact, several years ago, someone put forward a proposal to cancel NES. At that time, one and another product approved by NES went into trouble. Now, when it is refered to some big milk brands like 三鹿、伊利、蒙牛, 三鹿 is the biggest brand for milk power and done the talking by many famous stars. 蒙牛 is the special use milk for Chinese Astronauts and 伊利 is done the talking by the world famous 110 hurdle athlete LiuXiang. Now more and more people wonder what the NES brings to us? Even thought the quality of a product is great and stable, who can promise there's nothing wrong with it all the time.

In my opinion, NES means testing department gives up it's legal responsibility.

I can't help asking why does NES exist in the competitive market nowadays?

I found the reason from the internet. NES's real purpose is to remove regional protectionism. Before NES was released, many big brands of products were refused because they were not approved by the local testing department. A local director of AQSIQ even said " No problems of products won't be detected if they are tested by me". Many companies complained to the general testing department, so NES was born. NES helps the big companies be bigger and break the block of local protectionism. But in my point of view, it's also a deprivation of rights from the local by the central.

I should say NES solved some problems for the big companies at it was released. But it ran counter to original purpose further and further as time goes by. On one hand, companies left no stones unturned to be proved by NES, on the other hand, the goverment green-lighted local companies out of identity of interests. Approving of layers and layers became decorations if all the relationships were put through(relationship means a lot in China).

From then on, the NES is just like a shoes with many holes gamed by all sides of interests and degenerated into a tool for collusion between officials and businessman.

But even so, I'm confident with the government. Let's rub our eyes and wait.

(Oh, I'm not good at writing this kind of article, let alone in English. I must have made many many mistakes because I even make some words like green-lighted by myself. Forgive my folly)

6 comments:

Alb said...

Don't worry, your English seems fine. There are many people (many who speak English natively) that have poorer writing skills than you. Be happy! :D

Linda S. Socha said...

You do well in English. Do not worry here. You writing is clear. IO appreciated it and I have to tell you I have been reading of this poisoned dairy product situation with concern and worry for these children. Thank you for sharing this one.
Linda

FlyingRabbit said...

alb, thanks for the encouragement. There is still a long way to go for me to write English in an elegant and witty way . English's a language easy to start but hard to master. There are so many Chinglish in my sentences.

Linda, many thanks for your every comment left on my every article. Your support is my great motivation to keep on writing. The children poisoned are all received treatments in the hospital and many of them have already recovered. It's distressing to see such a thing occur. The government should be blamed. But the measures taken are OK. I still have great confidence in the government. This government experienced a really hard time. From SARS to birdflue, from snow disaster to earthquake, and now the poisoned milk powder... Some punishments are unforgettable, and we take it and march on.

kito4m said...

Well put, very understandable,i enjoy all ur articles. No worry about ur english, it perfect in my sense. I am worse, lol. You inspire me, always. Thank you so much.

FlyingRabbit said...

keith, my bro, thank you for the comment. I'm very happy having you as my reader. Oh, next time I'll kick your ass at playing the pool! lol

Diane J Standiford said...

I understood just fine and an interesting post.