Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Vagarious Custom for fishermen in My Hometown---The Taboo of Eating Fish

You shouldn't turn over the body of fish. As to cook a fish, you can only remove the viscus unable to eat to keep the whole shape of the fish for all kinds of fish except hairtail or eel which has a long body.

When eating the fish, usually, the host will first direct with his chopsticks to the fish to eat for the guest, and let the guest take the first bite to show his gracious hospitality. When one side of the fish is eaten up, remember, neither the host nor the guest can turn the fish over. The host will teach you how to eat without turning it over. In addition, you should not say "turn it over", either. Because "turn it over" means "turn the ship over". That's ominous for a fisherman.

Why "turn the fish over" means "turn the ship over"? In ancient Chinese, fish means dragon, someone called dragonfish. And ship means wooden dragon(you can often see dragon boat competition in Chinese traditional festival). So fish and ship have some relationship for fishermen.

Oh, that's just a custom for fisherman family. When my families are eating a fish, we don't care.

2 comments:

Stu 陶明瀚 said...

This was very interesting Rabbit! I fished for 7 years in the Bering Sea with all kinds of nationalities and people. Maybe the reason I like to learn about Asians. There were many different superstitions and taboo's from the various cultures. I have never heard the one you speak of, I was intrigued. A lot of the taboo's have a similarity though that is quite amazing. I don't know if I believe them but I never said anything because some of my mates took it very seriously and I had a lot of respect for them.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that. This is something that you don't read in the travel magazines :)

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone


One of my friends sends me an email telling me that I can sell some of used clothing on http://www.BuySellDirect.net FREE service and make money at home, tell know I made over one thousand dollar, and it is time to tell you, why you should use Ebay to sell your things when you can use http://www.BuySellDirect.net free.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is 100% FREE for all