Friday, August 29, 2008

The Story of My Chinese Name

My name is "陶旭". "陶"means pottery; "旭" means the rising sun at dawn. To tell you the truth, my name is not thought of by my parents, it was named by my grandpa by mistake.

I have a brother, who is two years older than me. When he was born, my farther had thougt a pair of names already: "陶治" and "陶冶". You could think it looks like the same at first sight. Pay attention to "治" and "冶". "治" means management; "冶" means to smelt, and "陶冶" is a ready made word which means to exert a favourable influence (on a person's character,etc.) I think it's a good idea but before my mother give birth to me, she just disagree with the idea. She think "冶" sounds like "野" which means rude or wild. At last, my mother give my brother and I names: "陶明辉" and "陶明锐". You can tell that there is only a difference at the last chatacter. The first name "陶" is just like "Cook" of "David Cook", it comes from your father's name. The middle name "明" is to show your position in the family hierarchy, and it's not compulsory,cause you can see many two-character name. The last name "锐" is just like "David" of "David cook".

My brother's name is "陶明辉",which is used till now. However my name isn't "陶明锐", my grandpa mistooke it. It happened at the day of registered permanent residence for my cousin and I. He was so drunk that exchange my last name with my cousin's...Thank goodness! My new name sounds not really bad, so my parents had to just receive it. Isn't it very dramatic?

8 comments:

plp said...

nice blog man! thanks for visiting my award winning blog :]

FlyingRabbit said...

Thanks for the "nice" word. You konw, English is my second languang which I can't master well. I'll go on improving my skills writing in English. And I'll keep paying a attention to your blog.

Linda S. Socha said...

Ilove this post Rabbit! I see you name is quite meaningful! Goodness what a great story...Well truth is. Love you anyway...even if you had been "rudely named":>)
Hugs
Linda

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of hombre who enjoys to taste radical things. Currently I am manufacturing my personal photovoltaic panels. I'm doing it all by myself without the help of my men. I am using the net as the only way to acheive that. I encountered a truly amazing site which explains how to contruct pv panels and wind generators. The web site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure about how correct the information given there is. If some guys over here who have xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the site it would be awesome and I'd highly appreciate it, cauze I really enjoy solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You people are great.

Anonymous said...

At last, I could find this article once again. You have few [url=http://tipswift.com]useful tips[/url] for my school project. Now, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that particular model. The prices for the sneakers are about 210 pounds on every site. But finally I set this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been looking for that singular model. The prices as regards the velcros were about 190 dollars everwhere. But completely I found this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good day friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that exact brand. The prices for the boots are around 310 bucks on every page. But completely I base this locate selling them for half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order those. what can you say about it?